Friday, January 10, 2014

Hi! My Name is Faith Margaret. And I Still Get My Hair "Did!"

You have to pretty much live under a rock to not have read about, talked about or heard about Black women and our hair.  Some of us have embraced and even reclaimed our natural hair and are sure to let everybody know how liberating and healthy this choice is.  Others of us have chosen to continue a long standing tradition of going to "the shop" and having a stylist use heat and hairspray and oil sheen on our hair or hair we have purchased to be added to our hair (still our hair!).  I am standing in solidarity with those of us that still get our hair "did" with a narrative about my love affair with my hair.  Once upon a time, when we were different shades of little brown girls we were introduced to the ritual of getting our hair done.  Only back then we were getting our hair "combed."  This tradition that happens in many black households between Mamas and their baby girls has been going on forever and a day.  It goes a little something like this:

Most Saturday mornings little brown girls all over would be made to stand on the kitchen chair or some other stool and told to bend over the sink to get their hair washed.  Our Mamas would scrub and rinse until they heard that squeaky clean sound while we made sure to keep our eyes closed real tight so shampoo wouldn't seep into them.  Our Mamas would massage sweet smelling conditioner all over our hair, let it sit for a few minutes, rinse it out and towel dry it with a big, fluffy towel.  We would later use that big towel and secure it to our heads to have long flowing hair, but that's another blog for another day. Next our Mamas would have us sit between their legs on a pillow in front of the television with our favorite show playing (Souuuuuul Trainnnn was the show of choice in my home!) while they parted our hair, greased our scalps and neatly brushed our hair up into ponytails and pigtails secured with pretty bows, balls (aka knockers) and barrettes. And last but not least, our Mamas would take special care to create our "baby hair" just right with that special toothbrush used to create the illusion.  Our Mamas would put all the hair products into that cookie tin and store it away until the next morning when the ritual would continue.  


Once we were old enough and only for special occasions (i.e., picture day at school, Easter or our birthdays) we would get your hair "pressed."  Yeah, once our Mamas were done pressing our hair it was a pretty sight to see but the process was torture!  I. Hated. Getting. My. Hair. Pressed.  I would stare at the red hot glowing fire on the stove as I sat on that red 3 step chair/stool combo thingie dreading this ritual.  My Mama would put a glob of Ultra Sheen Hair Grease (the blue kind) on the back of her left hand, put the pressing comb that was dark & worn from heavy use on the fire and get to pressing my hair.  Sizzle.  Blow.  Tap on the towel.  Press.  "Girl, stop flinching & hold yo' damn ear!" she would fuss right after she popped my head with that big black comb.  I just knew she was going to burn me when she would press my "edges" and get my "kitchen!"  I would smack my teeth, slouch in the chair and suffer through it the whole time wishing I was outside playing in the street with my friends.  My Mama was no punk, though and she would just keep right at it despite my crying and slouching and sniffing and it always ended with her turning me around to see my reflection in the mirror and exclaiming, "See!  All that crying for nothing.  Look at my pretty baby!  All done!" to only kiss me on my forehead and shoo me out of her kitchen.  At least that's what happened in my home.

As much as I hated getting my hair done, I so loved that time with my Mama.  It is one of my fondest memories of her.  Just her.  Just me.  Just we.  It was this sacred time between a Mama and her little girl free from the drama that always seemed to circle our home.

I'm in my 40's and to this day I have kept that ritual going.  Only now I go and have my hair professionally styled by the same woman that's been handling my hair for the past 20 years.  
 Not only am I taking care of myself with this indulgence, I am also supporting a black woman making her way in the world as an entrepreneur. That feels mighty good to me!  Over the years she's counseled me, I've counseled her, we've cried together, cackled together, danced together, shared a cocktail together...all in her little beauty shop.  You see, she comes from the same tradition that I come from and she understands the absolute value a beautician can have in the lives of her clients.  And I am grateful for her "growing hands" and her ability to manage my soft, tissue like hair that reminds me of my Mama every single day. 


It's amazing how versatile we can be as Black women!  We can decide how we want to wear our hair today and change our minds tomorrow.  We can marvel at the discipline and sometimes bravery of our sistah friends that make the choice to banish chemicals and heat from their hair styling rituals and STILL manage to walk with our heads up and shoulders back and freshly coiffed chemically and heat treated hairstyles from the beauty salon.  Since regardless of how we choose to style our hair, we are still keeping with a ritual passed down from generation to generation to generation.  No matter how we wear our hair, we are still showing love to ourselves and love for our culture through the expression of our hair and there is no shame in that!  *patting the sides of my hair & glancing in the mirror*    

15 comments:

  1. Love this one! I now own my own pressing comb as I have two girls with heads full of hair. Your blog speaks also to the trials of learning how to appreciate our hair differences which I'm teaching my girls. For me my hair is my beauty. If it's not done I'm incomplete. But this could just be me lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GIrl, I absolutely agree! My hair is my beauty, too. Money was very limited in my household as a kid which meant I did not have the latest clothes and shoes since rent was the priority. But! I could always make sure my hair was nicely combed and always, always neat. I treat myself every week to a trip to the shop and will probably do that until I leave this earth. And it's awesome that you are teaching your babies to value all types of hair!

      Delete
  2. Although I've crossed over to the natural side...these are fond memories that I too carry with me. Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Stacey! "I stumbled on this photograph, it kind of made me laugh. Took me way back. Back down memory lane…" ~Minnie Ripperton

      Delete
  3. I remember this ritual all too well!! Hilarious!! I remember my mother devoting an entire day to my hair. I had so much hair I had to lie on the counter with my head over the sink as my mama massaged half a bottle of Mane and Tail into my hair and scrubbed. Then came the conditioner. She'd spend about an hour with that wide toothed comb trying to 'detangle' my tresses while the conditioner was in so that it would be easier to manage. Easy for who, I would think. Then she'd rinse it out and pull me off the counter only to realize I still had product in the BACK/MIDDLE part of my head...Torture I tell ya!! Then she would pull out the cookie tin full of beads from cost plus (when they still made glass beads) and spend the remainder of the day braiding my hair. By the time she finished, we would have seen the sun rise and set - but I'd be free for the next few weeks until it was time to start the process all over again... So imagine my delight when I was old enough for a press!! 10 hours reduced down to 4!! Oh yes!! I loved it!! Been pressing my hair ever since!! And people think black girls don't have hair! HA!! Thanks for sharing and for the 'fond' memories, Faith Margaret!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another one for the, "And I Still Get My Hair Did" Club! Everything would be planned around getting out hair combed as little girls, right? We would be given a warning the night before, even! I love it!

      Delete
  4. Well written, thank you for that! I think sometimes we have shame in processing or pressing our hair, when all of it, kinky, curly, natural, permed, etc. is an expression of black women's hair. We should be proud however we choose to wear it.

    Personally I have a daughter with a head full of thick hair that not only do I style, I'm teaching her how to take care of it herself. I think it's important that she knows how to hook herself up just in case she goes away to college in a city that doesn't have a stylist readily available.

    We say don't judge a book by it's cover because people do just that. Our hair is a finishing touch that most people notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that is exactly what I am wanting to encourage us around, Olympia. Releasing any shame that is cast upon us for how we choose to wear our hair and embracing how we express ourselves through our hair. Proudly! The judgement that comes with how we wear our hair is amazing, really. What ever happened to respecting individual choice and living our lives as an example just in case people want to make another choice? There's room for all types of hair expression at our table and plenty of products to choose from! Thanks for the comment, Olympia! *smile*

      Delete
  5. Faith...I remember the ritual of getting my hair done with my mother. Laying on the sink and getting my hair washed, and then sitting on the floor while she brushed my hair starting from my nose to the back of my hair. I, like you, hated getting my hair done. My hair texture was one in which my mother STRUGGLED to detangle it and get it cute. And in her struggle, I was the one that ended up crying. I remember the day she took me to get a perm. It burned but the outcome was amazing. And for over 30 years I wore that perm. I miss my ritual of going to the shop for my perm. And I miss my ritual of seeing my beautician. Going natural stopped that ritual. I say to those of you that get to enjoy that ritual...ENJOY IT!! I'm jealous!! LOL... Thanks for the reminder FMB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now with your natural hair journey you are creating new ritual. And having fun exploring what works best for your new look in the process! Read all about it at keishanaturalhairchick.blogspot.com. *shameful plug, I know but that's my BFF* LOL

      Delete
  6. Back down memory lane... I see the photograph, I Feel the pain... LOL. YES, I remember it well. My mother was a braider so, she would alternate between multiple pony tails & braids. She was also heavy handed so the occasional pressing was a much welcomed reprieve and simply didn't come often enough for me. When I took responsibility for my own hair, the perm was my choice because it just made the "hair chore" a little bit easier. When I had my daughter, I of course continued the tradition. She (@18) has never experienced the perm but has been blessed to totally enjoy the versatility of "our" hair. Today we are both chemical free but believe me when I tell you I own an oven and a 10 piece set of irons because I recognized & needed my baby girl to know that weather we wear our hair braided, in a twist out, wet set, wash & go or flat ironed, black hair is beautiful just as are we... Thanks for the memories Faith --Shirelle B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, Shirelle…black hair is beautiful. I can't remember a time when I did not own a pressing comb, stove and marcel irons. I even have the tented hair dryer that mimics the dryer at the beauty salon. I can wash and style my hair, if necessary but it does not come close to the finished product when I come out of the shop.

      Delete
  7. Yes, yes. The finished product from the shop is a sweet treat that I do enjoy but with 4 kids in college & 2 soon to follow, I get the shop to come to me more often then not... I've got a great "Kitchen Beautician"

    ReplyDelete
  8. The good ole days I tell ya! What I wouldn't give to have my mother readily available for a good ole fashioned hair press! I can remember coming home from UCLA trying to convince my mother to do my hair among all the other things I missed...

    ReplyDelete
  9. So your Mama was good with the pressing comb, too Natina Bina?!?!?

    ReplyDelete